“Well I sure as hell am not going up there sober.”
The popular “best” of the four Star Trek: The Next Generation feature films, Star Trek: First Contact is actually my least favourite. It’s hard for me to imagine a more stupidly, or crassly, conceived franchise property than this. The film drips concept rather than storytelling, and is clumsy and inorganic, a rabble of unconnected story points and ideas built around a greedy base premise (“make a Borg movie - cuz they’ll like that”) while skipping the step where the film is telling any kind of interesting story. It’s nauseating to watch the crew of The Next Generation get put through such meaningless paces as this, especially in the big-screen debut of their most successful foe.Read more
1. It would be really great if I were able to use my iPhone outside on a cold day - like if I had gloves with haptic feedback pads on the tips or something like that
2. I can never have enough scarves - grey is a pretty amazing colour for scarves when you think about it
3. Aforementioned Zatoichi boxed set
4. I have a serious hankering to own a Lego Goblin King
5. Long underwear’s always useful, but nowhere near as useful as a whole Star Wars onesie
6. I dunno, Mukluks?
7. A real English longbow and a whole quiver full of arrows would not go awry. #zombieapocalypse
The ‘Doctor Who’ Christmas Special: ‘The Time Of The Doctor’.
“Orbiting a quiet backwater planet, the massed forces of the universe’s deadliest species gather, drawn to a mysterious message that echoes out to the stars. And amongst them – the Doctor. Rescuing Clara from a family Christmas dinner, the Time Lord and his best friend must learn what this enigmatic signal means for his own fate and that of the universe.”
Christmas is coming.
John Williams’ “We Overslept” / “Overslept Again” theme from the HOME ALONE movies is one of my favourite bits of composition of all time, or at least around Christmas.